Our Family

Our Family
Octoberr 2014

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Challenge #4: My Parents
 Man this was a challenge...... Not sure what to say here, but I guess just introduce my parents.  Although kind of a tough subject  because of all the ups and downs that I don't wish to share here about the relationship my parents have had the last 11 or so years of my life, and is just now becoming somewhat normal again (whatever normal means).  Anyway lets just say they are where they need to be.


My mom Lorraine W. Blankenstein is the oldest of 4 children, her dad was a Doctor (pediatrician) in whom we all called the shot grandpa growing up (he is who Zaylin's middle name is after "Hal") and her mother my grandma was a homemaker, which soon my mom found herself to be as well after having 10 children of her own. My mom has become very close and dear to me in the last several years.  Especially after I have had children now myself. I willingly call her up for just about any advice I need with being a mother, and I think she enjoys helping me out, day or night.   I don't know how I would have made it through both of my labors without her at my side.  Whenever the kids and I stop by for a visit, (which is often) she seems to always send home whatever food she is making at the time.  She loves Alyda and Zaylin and shows it in so many ways that I appreciate. I love her dearly and although she can be a little over dramatic at times about stuff (I am too), I love her for who she is.  I have learned so much from her and continue to find myself becoming like her in different ways, and it makes me proud to be her daughter! 


My Dad Hendrick (Hank) Blankenstein born in Utrecht Holland and came her at about age 9, he has 1 brother and 2 sisters (one that died only a short time into her life) her name is how I got my middle name (Ellie "Alyda").  My dad is quite interesting, I know growing up all of our friends thought he was in the CIA because of the indiscreet job description of what he did always led to the question of "you know I am not sure what my dad does?"  plus all the back and forth to Europe. But all the same, he took care of us and that is what mattered. My mom and dad met back in high school and my dad even took the liberty of writing to my mom in her yearbook that he wanted 10 kids (hence I guess that is why we have the big fam).  I had a good relationship with him growing up and he always treated me fairly throughout my life. He even took me on a whale watching trip up in Washington for one of my birthdays that I will never forget.  We always got along and still do, and although things are a little different in my family after the last several years of ups and downs (which I won't expound on) we all are still close and continue to each do what we know how to and that is be a big family! 
I don't plan on having 10 children myself, although a lot of people ask me if I will because I never have picked out a perfect # of children to have (I don't think there is one).  Zach and I will take it one child at a time for now, and whatever we feel is good will be it.  I love having all the family around and I will forever be so grateful to both of my parents for choosing to sacrifice so much for us to be happy.

1 comment:

jessi said...

I still think he's in the CIA! ha ha ha!
You have a wonderful family. No family is perfect, but it is the family that is best because they teach us so much. Love you! hope your doing well. We missed you Friday. Try to come next friday!